Current:Home > InvestShane Lowry keeps calm and carries British Open lead at Troon -Quantum Capital Pro
Shane Lowry keeps calm and carries British Open lead at Troon
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 06:12:16
TROON, Scotland (AP) — Shane Lowry was a surprising model of calm amid all the calamity in the British Open on Friday.
Lowry was not immune from the endless punishment Royal Troon dished out on a day when Tiger Woods missed another cut, along with nine of the top 20 players in the world — including Rory McIlroy, Ludvig Aberg and Bryson DeChambeau.
He was close to losing his cool with a photographer who distracted him, a shot into the gorse bush, a beautiful provisional shot to the 11th green that didn’t count when his lost ball became found and a double bogey that wiped out his two-shot lead.
Lowry steadied himself with two birdies on the last three holes for a 2-under 69, leaving him in a familiar position as he chases that silver claret jug he first won at Royal Portrush five years ago. He had a two-shot lead over Justin Rose and Daniel Brown going into the weekend.
“I was in control of my ball, did all the right things for a lot of the round. Then when I got in a bit of trouble, I feel like I really finished the round well,” Lowry said. “I’m pretty happy with the day. To be leading this tournament after two days, it’s why you come here. It’s why we’re here.”
The shocker at Royal Troon — there were a lot of them Friday — was how many of the top players were leaving.
DeChambeau, the U.S Open champion with top 10s in all the majors this year, managed only one birdie in a round of 75. McIlroy would have needed anything under par, and those hopes ended with a triple bogey 8 on his fourth hole. He shot 75.
“I’d much rather have a disappointing Sunday than going home on Friday,” said McIlroy, who was coming off a late collapse that cost him the U.S. Open.
Woods had a 77 to miss the cut in his third straight major, this one by eight shots. His 36-hole score of 156 matched his highest as a pro.
Lowry was at 7-under 135, and only nine other players remained under par after two days of havoc-wreaking wind off the Irish Sea.
Brown, playing in his first major championship, held it together for a 72 that puts him in the final group on the weekend with Lowry. Rose wasn’t even sure he would be at Troon until he went through 36-hole qualifying at the start of the month. He went 29 holes before finally making a bogey, and then he finished strong for a 68.
Masters champion Scottie Scheffler found a pot bunker off the tee at the downwind 18th and made bogey, but otherwise was solid as ever for another 70. He was tied for fourth just five shots behind, along with Billy Horschel (68) and Dean Burmester (69).
“I know tomorrow is going to be a long day, but I’ve done it before,” Lowry said. “For me, it’s just about going out and playing my own game, shooting the best score I can. Try not to worry about what other people are doing and just trying to take care of your own personal stuff.”
It was best to keep blinders on at Royal Troon. There were some harrowing scenes.
Justin Thomas, who opened with a 68 to get himself in the mix, shot a 45 on the front nine and played his best golf from there to salvage a 78 and make sure he at least made the cut.
Robert MacIntyre had an even tougher start. Scotland’s biggest star after winning his national Open last week, MacIntyre was stuck in pot bunkers and high grass. He was 8 over for his round through four holes — four holes! — and then played 4 under the rest of the way for a remarkable 75 to make the cut.
The cut was at 6-over 148.
Aguri Iwasaki had them all beat. He took a 9 on consecutive holes and shot 52 on the back nine for a 91. One of those 9s was on the par-3 14th, where he took four shots out of two bunkers and once had to go backward toward the fairway.
McIlroy, who started with a 78, needed a good start and instead got a triple bogey. He barely moved the ball out of thick grass on the par-5 fourth. Once he got back to the fairway, he pulled another shot into the rough, chipped that into the bunker and ended the sad tale by missing a 4-foot putt.
“Once I made the 8 on the fourth hole that was it — 22 holes into the event and I’m thinking about where I’m going to go on vacation next week,” McIlroy said.
PGA champion Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay were in the group at 1-under 141.
Another shot back was Joaquin Niemann. He had another 71 despite taking a quintuple-bogey 8 on the par-3 eighth hole — the Postage Stamp — that measures a mere 123 yards. He was in three bunkers around the tiny green and three-putted when he finally got out of them. Niemann also made six birdies in a most remarkable round of level par.
So much chaos across the century-old links, and it looked for a brief moment like Lowry might take part. He was in the right rough, but he was distracted by a photographer and angry at himself for not backing off the shot that he tugged left toward a clump of gorse.
Figuring it would be lost in the prickly mess, Lowry hit a provisional for a lost ball onto the green, a terrific shot. One problem. Someone found the ball. It was no longer lost, so the provisional ball was not in play.
Lowry took a penalty drop from the bush, going back to find a place where he had a swing, put it short of the green, chipped on and salvaged a double bogey 6.
“To be honest, I was happy enough leaving there with a 6. It wasn’t a disaster. I was still leading the tournament,” Lowry said.
And now comes a big opportunity for Lowry to reclaim that claret jug. He’s not alone in the chase, especially with Troon’s ability to make anyone look silly. Scheffler has quietly avoided some of those moments.
“I’ve played two solid rounds and it put me five shots back, and I’ll continue to try to execute and just continue to try to hit good shots and hit good putts,” Scheffler said, making it all sound so simple on a day when nothing felt easy.
___
AP golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf
veryGood! (4647)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Jury finds man not guilty of assaulting woman at U.S. research station in Antarctica
- I expected an active retirement, but my body had other plans. I'm learning to embrace it.
- A Train Derailment Spilled Toxic Chemicals in her Ohio Town. Then She Ran for Mayor
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- You Don’t Wanna Miss This One Tree Hill Reunion
- Apple Pay, Venmo, Google Pay would undergo same scrutiny as banks under proposed rule
- AP Week in Pictures: Global | Nov. 3 - Nov. 9, 2023
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Satellite photos analyzed by AP show an axis of Israeli push earlier this week into the Gaza Strip
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Former New Mexico State players charged with sex crimes in locker-room hazing case
- Nicki Minaj talks marriage trials, how motherhood brought her out of retirement in Vogue cover
- Manny Machado digs in at groundbreaking for San Diego FC’s training complex and academy
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- France’s Macron says melting glaciers are ‘an unprecedented challenge for humanity’
- Kaitlin Armstrong, accused in death of pro cyclist Mo Wilson, said she would kill her, witness testifies
- Escapee captured after 9 days when dog bark alerted couple pleads guilty in Pennsylvania
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Former Indiana sheriff accused of having employees perform personal chores charged with theft
TikToker Alix Earle Surprises NFL Player Braxton Berrios With Baecation to Bahamas
Hungary asks EU to take action against Bulgaria’s transit tax on Russian gas
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Former Louisville officer charged in Breonna Taylor raid says he was defending fellow officers
French far-right leader Marine Le Pen raises a storm over her plan to march against antisemitism
Historic: NWSL signs largest broadcast deal in women's sports, adds additional TV partners